An abbreviation of Bayerische Motoren Werke, BMW is world famous for their premium luxury automobiles. BMW is a German automobile company established in 1916. BMW is a parent company of the Rolls Royce Motor Cars. Being the pioneer of the luxury cars in India, BMW India Private Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of the BMW Group. BMW India has its headquarter in Gurgaon, a place in the nation's capital, Delhi. On September 2010, BMW India made an announcement, that they have invested Rs1.1 billion by far, which they are planning to increase it to Rs1.8 billion by the end of the year 2012. BMW have opened its manufacturing plant somewhere in Chennai. The plant has a capacity of producing 5400 units annually. They have employed more than 400 people and by the end of 2012 they would have offered 1200 more jobs. With a continuous delivery of high standards and best customer care service BMW India Private Limited have set up 22 international standard dealerships all over India.
The Chennai manufacturing plant of BMW India Private Limited manufactures and assembles only three of its entire lineup and a total of 11 models namely
- BMW 320i, BMW 320d, BMW 320d corporate edition and BMW 330i in BMW 3 Series
- Under BMW 5 Series there are BMW520d, BMW 523i, BMW 525d and BMW 530d,
- BMW sDrive 18i, BMW 20d and BMW sDrive exclusive in BMW X1 series.
BMW India also imports some of the models as CBU's in the Indian market namely
- BMW 5 Series - BMW 535i
- BMW 6 Series - BMW 650i Coupe and BMW 650i Convertible.
- BMW 7 Series - BMW 740Li, BMW 750Li, BMW 760Li and BMW 730Ld.
- BMW X3 Series- BMW X3 xDrive25i, X3 xDrive20d.
- BMW X5 Series- BMW X5 xDrive50i and BMW X5 xDrive30d.
- BMW X6 Series- BMW X6 xDrive50i and BMW X6 xDrive30d.
- BMW X6 M, BMW M3- both Coupe and Convertible.
- BMW M5.
- BMW M6 - both Coupe and Convertible.
- BMW Z4 sDrive35i Roadster.
- BMW Gran Turismo.