Recently we reported about the 2014 Lavasa Women’s Drive (LWD) in detail, which was the biggest all-women car drive in the country, organized by Lavasa Corporation Limited. Now it is been reported, the same event has set a Guinness World Record for ‘Most female participants in a motor sport event’. This year the drive saw 934 women with 467 cars driving from Mumbai and Pune to scenic Lavasa, India’s first planned hill city, to achieve this feat. The event was held on February 22, 2014.
Lavasa Women’s Drive celebrates the spirit of the modern Indian woman – full of fun, adventure and compassion. The drive has been instrumental in spreading awareness about cancer as well as diverse social causes related to women.
Lavasa Women’s Drive actively supports the cause of Women’s Cancer prevention through early detection since 2009. A large part of money collected through registration, is donated to Women’s Cancer Initiative – Tata Memorial Hospital.
Marco Frigatti, Senior Vice President of Records, Guinness World Records, said, “This is an impressive mass participation Guinness World Records event – even more so when the record itself helps raise awareness of a serious health issue such as cancer. We welcome the Lavasa Women’s Drive to our family of our record holders.”
Anuradha Paraskar, Sr. Vice President – Marketing and Sales, Lavasa Corporation Limited, commenting on Lavasa Women’s Drive setting a new Guinness World Records title, said, “It is a proud moment for us at Lavasa. What started as an innovative concept 6 years back has now made a mark on the global stage by setting a new Guinness World Record. We salute the spirit of participants and congratulate them for setting a new world record.
The recognition for Lavasa Women’s Drive augurs well for Lavasa, India’s planned hill city. When we set out to build the city we always envisaged it to be a development that will make India proud. Recognitions like the Guinness World Record are significant milestones in our journey towards making it happen.”
The sixth edition of the drive witnessed overwhelming participation from 2000 women. The drive touched lives of millions of women from more than 100 countries around the world as they voted for their friends and acquaintances to ensure their participation in this event.
Winners of Lavasa Women’s Drive and all other women participants who contributed to setting a new Guinness World Record will be felicitated by Super Star, Amitabh Bachchan at the Lavasa Women’s Drive Awards ceremony to be held in Mumbai on March 18, 2014.
In a message to Indian women on International Women’s Day, Amitabh Bachchan, said, “I am so happy to be associated with a cause that empowers women and is also helping to create awareness about an issue that affects their lives. I am looking forward to attending the Lavasa Women’s Drive awards to support an initiative, which creates awareness about all types of women’s cancer.”
Lavasa Women’s Drive (LWD) – factoids
- LWD has been acknowledged by the Limca Book of Records as India’s Largest Women’s Car Rally.
- LWD stands for the true spirit of women today that represents confident, independent, and enterprising with a penchant for social causes.
- Participation from all walks of life – home makers, Navy officers, police force, corporate women, cancer survivors, NGO’s, etc.
- Over the years 7000 women have participated in the drive and have garnered 3.2 million votes from 100 countries.
- 3000 cars have driven to Lavasa till date and 60 celebrities have witnessed the drive.
- The drive has grown in stature over the last 6 years. From 100 cars to 500 cars that drive from Mumbai and Pune
Lavasa Women’s Drive and cancer prevention
- LWD primarily supports the cause of Cancer Prevention through Early Detection. A large part of money collected through registration, is donated to Women’s Cancer Initiative – Tata Memorial Hospital. More than 4 million rupees has been generated towards this cause.
- Free cancer detection camps and workshops have been held for the economically under-privileged women from villages at Lavasa and other remote villages in Maharshtra.
- Limca Book of Records: National Record for the largest women’s car rally
- Year: 2011, 2012, 2013
Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'indiandr_newcar2'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/indiandr/public_html/wp-content/themes/indiandrives/includes/test_drive.php on line 11