Tough, I know all of you might be well aware about what to do and what not to do while driving your car. But still why people tend to forget the safety features and try to attempt stunts like making calls while driving or worst texting while driving. The major concern while driving is not only to reach your destination as fast a possible , which people might think it is. Rather it is about driving safely and reaching the desired place safely. The speed might be your priority but try not to make it one because the ultimate priority should be driving safely. Driving safely not only assures that you are safe but that the people around you are safe as well.
So today let’s encounter some of the steps that have been forgotten long back by all of us. Especially if you are a noob and still trying to fit in, I guess these guidelines will really help you to get that extra what you require in order to become a good driver. So here we go…
- So to start with let’s talk about the traffic rules. Remember these people are not fools who made this traffic rules. It might be easy to flunk them. Infact it will be very easy for you to flunk them but sorry if you met with any mishap than it will be a tough call for you to flunk the bruises. So mind all the traffic signals. It is there for your own safety. If you didn’t follow it then it will lead to confusion and collision.
- Do not attempt for anything inside your car, which is out of your reach. Also do not use your cell phone while driving. Texting while driving your car is a straight ‘no no’. As far as the calls are concerned you can opt for a hands-free and other things that will allow you to make calls easily. For further information of how to make calls while driving you can also read our article How to make a safe call while driving.
- The hazard lights in your car have a very important role to play. Always remember that when you drive a car and it attracts problem for any reason in the middle of the road then simply push the hazard button to make every fellow driver on the road know that your car has met with some problem. So next time if your car suddenly breaks down in the middle of the road then, push your hazard lights on and ask for some help in order to get your vehicle out of the road so that the traffic doesn’t get obstructed.
- While driving, make sure that you don’t suddenly decide to change your lane. I know that’s never going to happen but by suddenly, I mean for the fellow drivers who are driving besides your car. Use your indicator whenever you want to change your lane. And by using your indicator I mean use it well in advance not after colliding into some other vehicle. I know many of you will say that the indicators of your car are not working properly then at least you can use the hand gesture. Right?
- Make sure that there is no uncomfortable piece of object placed inside your car. At least make sure that it is not hanging loose. Also make sure that your both the doors are closed properly. That is one of the reasons why I like recent cars because majority of them come with a door ajar warning.
- Keep a safe distance from the car in front of you. The reason being that the person sitting in the car right in front of yours, might sometimes use urgent braking. So in order to avoid collision it better to maintain a safe distance. This becomes even more important when you are driving on a gradient.
- Remember that you should give way to ambulances in any condition. Your courtesy can give life to the patient inside the ambulance. Besides Ambulance, you should also give way to the Fire Brigade and Police vehicles as well.
- If you are trying to overtake a vehicle especially on a narrow road or a two lane highway then use dipper two to three times so that the vehicle in front of you knows your intentions. I know this might sound a bit idiotic but try to make yourself visible in the rear view mirror of the vehicle in front of you. But remember if the vehicle also flickers back in response then that driver is telling you that he is too close to your vehicle to safely pass by. So, in that condition don’t overtake.
- Make sure that all the lights are working and are in good shape. Especially pay special attention to the braking lights and the headlamps. Those are really important.
- If you are travelling in city, highway or anywhere else make sure that you use low beam of lights when a vehicle is coming from the other end and then later on you can switch back to high beam.
- Don’t leave your car keys inside the ignition switch and leave the car stranded. Because while coming back you then might wonder where your car ran off. There are thieves everywhere eying your car.
- Make sure that you use your hand brakes while parking your car. Recently there was this incident in NCR where the owner of the car left it parked but forgot to apply the handbrakes and his kid was inside the car. Lateron he found his car in the middle of the road with few scratches and his kid unharmed (thank god).