Though we covered the Lavasa Women’s Drive 6th edition (2014) in great detail, but that seems to be enough, and now to add more glimpse, winners of the rally were felicitated by super star Amitabh Bachchan at a gala event in Mumbai. Mr. Bachchan presented awards to the first three winning teams from Mumbai and Pune who completed the race. Cine stars Jackky Bhagnani and Neha Sharma presented awards for the best message, best dressed car, most popular team, best moment award, and the most empowering message. (Detailed winners list is enclosed)
2000 women drove to picturesque Lavasa from Mumbai and Pune on 22nd February 2014 for the 6th edition of the drive that celebrates the spirit of the modern Indian woman – full of fun, adventure and compassion. The drive conducted in the Time-Distance-Speed format (TDS) witnessed intense competition among participants. The women also displayed their compassionate side by decking up their cars with impactful messages on women related issues. Over the years the drive has been instrumental in spreading awareness about cancer prevention as well as diverse social causes related to women.
Speaking on the occasion, Anuradha Paraskar, Senior Vice President – Marketing and Sales, Lavasa Corporation Limited said, “The 6th edition of the drive is truly special. Lavasa Women’s Drive now holds the Guinness World Record for ‘Most female participants in a motor sport event’. The global recognition is a testimony of the new age Indian women’s zest to win and make a mark. It’s an inspiration for us too, as we build Lavasa, a planned hill city that will make India proud.”
Amitabh Bachchan, felicitating the winners said, “Lavasa Women’s Drive has reached a stage where it has received international recognition in the form of the Guinness World Record. So much has been talked on women empowerment in our country. I know it is very difficult for many groups to come together for such a noble cause. The recent case of Nirbhaya saw the coming together of people without any political lineage where the common man expressed his voice which was heard by the system.
I partner UNICEF in their campaign for the girl child and the campaign for eradication of polio in India. After 8 year long fight, finally India is free from Polio. I do hope that campaigns like Lavasa Women’s Drive help eradication of the dreaded diseases like cancer.”
Spirited performance by singer Hard Kaur enthralled the audience and made it a evening to remember for all the participants who actively participated in Lavasa Women’s Drive.
Lavasa Women’s Drive has been actively supporting the cause of Women’s Cancer prevention through early detection since 2009. A large part of money collected through registration, is donated to Women’s Cancer Initiative – Tata Memorial Hospital. Amitabh Bachchan also contributed Rs. 11 lakh towards the cause.
Devieka Bhojwani, Vice-President, Women’s Cancer Initiative -Tata Memorial Hospital, said ‘Lavasa Women’s Drive has seen 12,000 women participating in the campaign against the dreaded disease in last six years. We can create huge awareness by taking this campaign to new levels. Lavasa Women’s Drive has achieved an important milestone with a Guinness World record. There is another crucial milestone that we need to achieve which is the total eradication of cancer.”
Lavasa Women’s Drive – factoids
- Lavasa Women’s Drive has set a Guinness World Record for ‘Most female participants in a motor sport event’.
- Lavasa Women’s Drive has been acknowledged by the Limca Book of Records as India’s Largest Women’s Car Rally three years in a row
- Lavasa Women’s Drive stands for the true spirit of women today that represents confident, independent, and enterprising with a
penchant for social causes.
- Participation from all walks of life – home makers, Navy officers, police force, corporate women, cancer survivors, NGO’s, etc.
- Over the years 7000 women have participated in the drive and have garnered 3.2 million votes from 100 countries.
- 3000 cars have driven to Lavasa till date and 60 celebrities have witnessed the drive.
- The drive has grown in stature over the last 6 years. From 100 cars to 500 cars that drive from Mumbai and Pune.
Lavasa Women’s Drive and cancer prevention
- Lavasa Women’s Drive primarily supports the cause of Cancer Prevention through Early Detection. A large part of money collected through registration, is donated to Women’s Cancer Initiative – Tata Memorial Hospital. More than 4 million rupees has been generated towards this cause.
- Free cancer detection camps and workshops have been held for the economically under-privileged women from villages at Lavasa and other remote villages in Maharashtra.
- Guinness Book of World Records for ‘Most female participants in a motor sport event’ (Year: 2014)
- Limca Book of Records: National Record for the largest women’s car rally (Year: 2011, 2012, 2013)