India made Maruti Suzuki Ertiga is in Indonesian market as Mazda VX1

The India made Maruti Suzuki Ertiga MPV is now on sale in the Indonesian market and has been rebadged as the Mazda VX1 and is available at the price tag of 178,800,000 Indonesian Rupiah (which is almost equal to Rs. 10.14 lakhs). The Ertiga was revealed for the Indonesian MPV market last year and is assembled by the Suzuki Indonesia from the CKD (Completely Knocked Down unit) that are being manufactured in India.

The VX1 hires the same 1.4 litre K Series petrol engine that produces about 94 PS of power and peak torque of 130 Nm. The power is transmitted to the front wheels through manual five speed transmission. The MPV is currently available in two variants from Mazda, V and R grade. Both of these seems equivalent to the Indian counterpart Ertiga’s VXi and ZXi versions. The vehicle also displays slightly more muscular exterior design as compared to the Indian brother. The changes are mainly in form of larger bumpers, larger front grille and rear spoiler. Over all it looks more aggressive.

India made Maruti Suzuki Ertiga is in Indonesian market as Mazda VX1

The rebadging is not something that is common for the Japanese automakers but one thing that this rebadging indicates is that Maruti is using all its plants capacity for petrol engine manufacture. The automaker’s petrol car sales have declined significantly over the years mainly due to the rise in the petrol prices and slower economic condition. With the current condition most of the Indian buyers have shifted towards the diesel trims. As most of the Maruti line up consists of the petrol cars so, it was a better idea to use the plant’s capacity to produce engine for Indonesian market.

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga made in India

Indonesian automobile market will see Maruti Suzuki Ertiga after May 2012

The recent entrant in the multi-purpose vehicle segment of the Indian automobile market is the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga that has been introduced this very week in the country. Now it will be exported to the automobile market of Indonesia as well, starting from the end of May this year as per the reliable sources. With a 20 per cent growth in the previous three years, the multi-purpose vehicle segment of the Indian automobile market is the quickest growing market of automobile in India.  Right now, the existing share of the multi-purpose vehicle segment in the automobile industry of India stands at 10 per cent while Maruti Suzuki India has a good share of 3 per cent in the automobile market of Indonesia, which it is positive to magnify with the introduction of its Ertiga.

The Maruti Suzuki Ertiga will be sent from India to Indonesia via the completely knocked down (CKD) route and then it will be assembled there. Right now with the rising price of petrol fuel, more and more customers are going for the purchase of diesel engine cars in the Indian sub-continent when compared to the petrol based cars. Thus the firm has also reached to a conclusion that there will be nearly 80 percent sale of diesel models of Ertiga and the rest 20 percent will comprise of the petrol fuel boosted engines.

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga

There were also questions arising in the context of the effect, the launch of Ertiga would bring on Maruti Suzuki’s hatchback model Swift, but the firm just gave out a general update about Swift’s production capacity in units as the answer. The manufacturing of Maruti Suzuki Swift has been increased to 20,000 units from the previous 12,000 units while the waiting period of 6.5 months has now been lowered to a waiting period of 2.5 months. However, the firm is not at all thinking to manufacture CNG trim of Maruti Suzuki Ertiga as the current products of the firm that is boosted by CNG has not been capable to get the attention of the customers and make good sales across the nation. This is because of a lack of refilling options as there are very few CNG filling stations across the nation. A price of Rs 6.17 lakh (ex showroom Chennai) and Rs 6.12 lakh (ex showroom Bangalore) has been set for the base model of Maruti Suzuki Ertiga.