Arguably one of the best off-roading machines in India, was introduced roughly 18 months ago. Though the true fun of going off-trail comes with feel of the climate, customers prefer to remain cool in urban driving. Mahindra, the Indian auto giant, greets customer demands and launches the AC version of the much-prized off-roader, Thar.
Today afternoon, Mahindra officially launched the AC version of Thar in Mumbai, at a starting price of Rs. 6.75 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai). Pop-up the hood, and there is the glorious 2.5-lite CRDi enginewaiting to growl 105 bhp power at 3800 rpm and a staggering torque of 247 Nm at 1800 rpm. The engine is compliant to the revised BSIV emission norms. Mated to the diesel motor is a 5-speed manual gearbox.
Apart from the new AC, the Thar comes with an engine immobilizer to protect against theft. Speaking of the interiors, the Thar features sports twin bucket seats for ultimate comfort. Steering was never a problem in Thar and it sports a Borg Warner transfer case for permanent 4X4. A soft top roof comes stock, while a hard top can be ordered as per customer’s choice through Mahindra’s customization program.
With the launch of the new Thar, Mahindra also unveiled the Thar Expedition, which is modified to tackle through the most unforgiving terrains. It sports a custom front bull-bar with electric winch, a snorkel, rock sliders and a roll cage as some of the key features.
Mahindra also took the opportunity to launch the Mahindra Adventure calendar:
- Kottayam – 23rd June
- Mumbai – 7th July
- Goa – 11th August
- Chandigarh – 18th August
- Saklespur – 25th August
- Kohima – 20th October
- Jaipur – 24th November
- Off-road championship (Mumbai) – 7-9th December
- Kolkatta Challenge – 13 January
- Hyderabad Challenge – 20th January
- Coimbatore Challenge – 3rd February
Multiple Day Expedition & Challenges:
- Monsoon Challenge (South to West) – 19th – 22nd July
- Monastery Escape Classic – 26th July – 5th August
- Authentic Goa – 16th – 22nd August
- Spice Challenge (South) – 7-9th September
- Trination Escape (North to East) – 15th – 29th September
- Wild Escape (Central) – 16th – 21st November
- Royal Escape Classic (North) – 27th December – 1st January
Mahindra Thar specifications:
[table id=48 /]